Student Research Opportunities
At NYU Tandon, students have numerous and diverse opportunities to engage in research that discovers solutions to real-world problems. Both undergraduate and graduate students can pursue research in a variety of fields, including (but not limited to) bioengineering, communications and networking, data science, cybersecurity, energy systems, clean technology, smart cities, and mechatronics.
Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP)
Undergraduate and graduate students can work alongside post-docs and faculty from Tandon and other schools within NYU on immersive, engineering-based design projects for credit. All majors are welcome to apply for the program.
Find Out More
NYU Tandon Summer Research Programs
For NYU Students
Each summer, members of NYU Tandon faculty open up their labs to allow rising junior and senior undergraduate students 10 weeks of hands-on research under faculty mentorship.
Find Out More
For Students from Other Universities
Students not enrolled at NYU can participate in summer research by way of the Summer Research Program for College Juniors.
Find Out More
Numerous STEM research programs open to undergraduate students are available throughout the country. Search for programs by discipline or geography using Pathways to Science. Listed below are a few select programs:
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - National Science Foundation
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship - US Department of Energy
- Summer Research Early Identification Program - The Leadership Alliance
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) - National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Fellowship Program - US Department of Transportation
International Opportunity: Practical Research Experience Program (PREP) at the Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Undergraduate students who have completed 2 years of studies can apply for a 10-week summer program in Germany.
Graduate Opportunities and Resources
- NYU Libraries Grants and Proposals Guide is geared primarily for individuals seeking grants, fellowships, and scholarships from external organizations to support their education or research.
- Search the Fellowships Database on NYU CareerNet (student registration to the Wasserman Center for Career Development required).
- Both the School of Engineering's Office of Sponsored Programs and NYU's Office of Sponsored Programs provide information about research funding opportunities.
Fellowship Opportunities in STEM
Search for programs by discipline or geography using Pathways to Science. Listed below are a few select programs:
- Graduate Research Fellowship Program - National Science Foundation
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship - US Dept of Energy
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship - US Dept of Defense
- NASA One Stop Shopping Initiative for Internships, Fellowships, and Scholarships
- National Institutes of Health
- Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) - US Dept of Energy
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Graduate Fellowship - US Department of Transportation
International Summer Research: Practical Research Experience Program (PREP) at the Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Graduate students can apply for a 10-week summer program in Germany.