Graduate Services

Office of Graduate Academics

Dibner Entrance

The Office of Graduate Academics provides administrative support to the faculty, staff, and students of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Our office works with students, department chairs, and academic advisers to assist students having academic difficulty, resolve unexpected administrative issues, and create departmental policies. As a member of the Graduate Curriculum and Standards Committee (GCSC), we help faculty develop new programs, create new courses, improve current courses, and establish guidelines to enrich the quality of education offered by NYU Tandon. In addition, our office assists faculty, staff, and students in interpreting and applying the policies and standards of NYU Tandon.


Peter Voltz

Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Graduate Academics 

Racquel Cooper

Senior Director of Graduate Academics 

Joseph Anderson, Jr.

Manager of Graduate Academics 


Graduate Student Forms

Thesis, Project, and Dissertation

Master's Thesis and Project Report Guidelines

Ph.D. Dissertation Guidelines

Policies and Degree Requirements for Ph.D. Students

Request for Appointment or Reconstitution of Ph.D. Guidance Committee

Within six (6) months of passing the Ph.D. qualifying examination(s), you and your dissertation adviser must form or appoint a dissertation guidance committee. Use this form to identify the members of the committee. In addition, two (2) weeks prior to defending the final Ph.D. dissertation, you will be required to reconstitute the guidance committee. Submit this form to Prof. Jose Ulerio in RH412A.

Request to Schedule Dissertation Defense for the Ph.D. Degree

Use this form to schedule your final Ph.D. dissertation defense. Submit it to Prof. Jose Ulerio in RH412A no later than two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled date. Make sure to include an electronic copy of your abstract.

MS Conferral Request for Ph.D. Students

Oftentimes, Ph.D. students will coincidentally meet the requirements for the MS degree in the same field as their Ph.D. In such cases, Ph.D. students may be awarded an MS degree, while continuing to work towards their Ph.D. For Ph.D. students who want to receive an MS degree, discuss with your adviser the requirements of the corresponding MS degree, then complete this form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics.


Request to Change Major

Use this form to switch from one graduate program to another after at least one semester of study. Approval is required from your current department, the department of your new intended major, and the Office of Graduate Academics. Please note that this form cannot be used to change degree level (for example, from an MS degree to a Ph.D. degree).  

Request an Extension of Time to Complete a Degree

The program for a graduate certificate must be completed within 3 years. The MS degree programs must be completed within 5 years. The PhD program must be completed in 6 years for full-time students and 12 years for part-time students from the time of admission for graduate work at the School of Engineering. These time limits include approved leaves of absence. You may use this form to request an extension exceeding these time limits. For more information on time extensions see the Tandon School of Engineering Bulletin.

Acknowledgment of Academic Probation

Students are placed on Academic Probation when their cumulative GPA drops below 3.0. All students on academic probation are required to meet with their academic adviser to discuss a plan to improve their academic progress and to obtain approval for the courses they will be taking in the coming semester. You must then complete the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form with your adviser and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics.

The Academic Probation Hold, YA0, is placed on Albert for all students on academic probation, and prevents students from adding or dropping courses. Once the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form is submitted, the YA0 hold is replaced with either a YA1 hold, for students on academic probation for the first time, or a YA2 hold, for students on academic probation for the second and final time. The YA1 hold will allow unrestricted registration until the end of the add/drop period. The YA2 hold will prevent registration and course adjustments beginning on a date determined by Graduate Academics, normally prior to the first day of the semester. This restriction is due to the fact that students on final academic probation are expected to finalize their academic schedules prior to the start of the term so that they are prepared to begin attending classes immediately. For tracking purposes, the YA1 and YA2 holds remain on your account indefinitely. However, the YA1 hold has no impact on registration, and the YA2 hold will expire at such time a final probation student has raised their cumulative GPA to 3.0 or higher.  

Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal

You are disqualified if your cumulative GPA is below 3.0 for more than two semesters (semesters do not have to be sequential). If you have been disqualified, you may appeal to the Graduate Appeals Committee for one final semester of study. If the Committee approves, then you must meet with your academic adviser and complete the Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal form. After both you and your adviser have signed the form, submit the form to the Office of Graduate Academics.

A YA3 hold will be placed on Albert for students who have been granted an extra semester. This hold blocks all registration activity on a date to be determined by Graduate Academics, normally before the start of the new semester. You must make all registration changes before the YA3 hold takes effect. 

Appeal of Academic Disqualification Form

This form is to be used by graduate (MS and PhD) students who wish to appeal their disqualification from the University.  Students must submit this form to the Office of Graduate Academics.

Additional Registration Forms